Dillian Whyte to fight Alexander Povetkin on May 2 in heavyweight bout at Manchester Arena
- Dillian Whyte will fight Alexander Povetkin at Manchester Arena in two months
- The May 2 heavyweight bout will see the winner as the WBC title mandatory
- At present that’d be against Tyson Fury – who is set to fight Deontay Wilder again
Dillian Whyte will put his WBC mandatory position on the line with a fight against Alexander Povetkin on May 2.
Whyte, who is in pole position to challenge for Tyson Fury’s belt – once he has fought Deontay Wilder – will go toe-to-toe with Povetkin at the Manchester Arena in two months’ time.
Whyte is the current WBC interim world champion after beating Oscar Rivas in July last year.
Dillian Whyte (left) and Alexander Povetkin will go toe-to-toe at Manchester Arena on May 2
The 31-year-old Brit then defended that title with a win over Maruisz Wach in Saudi Arabia in December.
The Brit’s record stands at 27-1, 18 KOs whereas 40-year-old Russian Povetkin’s is 35-2-1, 24 KOs.
‘This is a great fight, Povetkin is an Olympic gold medallist, has loads of experience, he’s a former World Champion and he’s only lost to Joshua and Klitschko,’ said Whyte.
‘He is still very dangerous, he gave AJ a lot of problems and then beat Hughie Fury. I am not overlooking him at all, he will come in shape, he’s tough and very well-schooled.
British heavyweight Whyte’s last fight saw him beat Mariusz Wach in Saudi Arabia in December
‘You only have to look at his resume to see that he’s always been considered as one of the most fearsome punchers in the heavyweight division with big KO wins over [Marco] Huck, [Manuel] Charr, [Carlos] Takam, Wach and [David] Price. He showed in Saudi Arabia that he still has a lot left in the tank and he is still very dangerous. I’ve got respect for him but I’m on to maximum violence, straight animal instinct.
‘I want to be heavyweight champion of the world so anywhere in the world is my lion’s den. If you aspire to be world champion, you should be able to fight anywhere. Manchester is a great city with great fight fans and I’m looking forward to going back there.’
‘I am pleased to fight Whyte, it has long been discussed but didn’t happen for whatever reason,’ said Povetkin.
‘Dillian is a good strong boxer and it will make for an interesting fight. I am not about big announcements, I am about winning in the ring, and on May 2nd people will see a spectacular fight.’
Whyte has put WBC mandatory position on the line against the 40-year-old Povetkin
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article