Vile gash on Jordan Gill’s head sees blood pour down face and fight called off

Don’t miss a thing by getting the Daily Star’s biggest headlines straight to your inbox!

The featherweight clash between Jordan Gill and Alan Luques Castillo ended in disturbing fashion after the British fighter was left with a horrific cut following an accidental clash of heads.

The 27-year-old was making his ring return against the Argentinian having not fought since February, with the bout forming part of the undercard for the Connor Benn v Chris Algieri welterweight fight at the M&S Bank Arena in Liverpool.

But Gill's comeback turned sour at the end of the fourth round, when just before the bell a sickening clash of heads left Gill with a nasty gash on the side of his head.

Blood duly poured down his face and despite the vigorous efforts of medical staff to patch things up, the referee was left with little option other than to call things off. Despite Gill being clearly ahead on points, the result was announced as a technical draw as less than four full rounds had been completed.

It compounded a frustrating week for the former Commonwealth champion, who was originally scheduled to face Karim Guerfi in a European title bout, but his opponent withdrew from the clash at short notice, citing illness.

It meant Castillo, 30, stepping in at the 11th hour and despite failing to get the job done, renowned Peterborough United fan Gill still expects to have a tilt at Guerfi in the imminent future.

“I’m absolutely gutted,” he told the Peterborough Telegraph.

“But the cut was so deep with blood squirting everywhere I was lucky it wasn’t on my face as I’d have needed surgery and a long lay-off.

“The European title fight will probably be pushed back another month, but I should be sparring again in the new year at least."

Should Jordan Gill have been given a chance to continue? Let us know in the comments section.

Gill also revealed he asked medical staff if he could continue, only to have his request rebuffed.

“I asked the doctor if I could carry on and complete the fourth round as I knew I was ahead, but it wasn’t possible. Towards the end of the fourth round we clashed heads and I was caught at the top of my head."

British fans were at least treated to a majestic display by Benn, 25, who took his professional record to 20-0 by knocking out Algieri in the fourth round.

That was after Katie Taylor had defeated Firuza Sharipova to retain her WBA, WBC, IBF, WBO, and The Ring female lightweight titles.

  • Boxing

Source: Read Full Article