Seven F1 manufacturers teamed up to release a joint statement this morning calling for “proper disclosure” of the FIA’s investigation into Ferrari’s 2019 engine. The group of constructors “strongly object” the initial ruling, in which the FIA and Ferrari reached a settlement.
Mercedes, McLaren, Racing Point, Red Bull, Renault, AlphaTauri and Williams have publicly condemned the investigation.
No details of the findings or settlement has been released and they have called for F1’s governing body to reveal all.“We, the undersigned teams, were surprised and shocked by the FIA’s statement of Friday 28 February regarding the conclusion of its investigation into the Scuderia Ferrari Formula 1 Power Unit,” the statement read.
“An international sporting regulator has the responsibility to act with the highest standards of governance, integrity and transparency.
“After months of investigations that were undertaken by the FIA only following queries raised by other teams, we strongly object to the FIA reaching a confidential settlement agreement with Ferrari to conclude this matter.
“Therefore, we hereby state publicly our shared commitment to pursue full and proper disclosure in this matter, to ensure that our sport treats all competitors fairly and equally.
“We do so on behalf of the fans, the participants and the stakeholders of Formula One.
“In addition, we reserve our rights to seek legal redress, within the FIA’s due process and before the competent courts.”
Ferrari were under investigation because it is alleged their 2019 power unit broke the FIA’s rules and regulations.
No guilty or not guilty verdict was made public but a statement released last week confirmed a settlement was made.
- Lewis Hamilton labelled a ‘headache’ who makes everyone uncomfortable
The FIA said: “The FIA announces that, after thorough technical investigations, it has concluded its analysis of the operation of the Scuderia Ferrari Formula 1 power unit and reached a settlement with the team.
“The specifics of the agreement will remain between the parties.
“The FIA and Scuderia Ferrari have agreed to a number of technical commitments that will improve the monitoring of all Formula 1 power units for forthcoming championship seasons as well as assist the FIA in other regulatory duties in Formula 1 and in its research activities on carbon emissions and sustainable fuels.”
Ferrari, Haas and Alpha Romeo, who all run with Ferrari engines, are the only teams who did not sign the joint manufacturers’ statement.
Speaking in December while the investigation was in full flow, Ferrari team principal Mattia Binotto insisted his engine was legal.
“If I look at the whole season, we have been one of the most-checked teams – both before and after the technical directives had been worked up,” he said. “And when you have got a performance advantage – and certainly we had it for the whole season, because we’ve had a power advantage compared to our competitors since the first race – being checked is normal and it is somehow good because through the checks you are proving your legality after the TD has been issued.
“The number of checks on our cars have multiplied, the results have been shown to the FIA and the details have been discussed. So whatever could have been done through collaboration with the FIA has been done.
“We have never changed our way of operating the engine for the last part of the season, showing that our power unit is fully legal. Had that not been the case, if there would have been any non-legality, it would have come out at the very first check.”
Source: Read Full Article