Steve Bruce WILL face the media on Friday despite Newcastle’s new owners being ready to sack him before their first game in charge this weekend… with Saudis eyeing Lucien Favre and Steven Gerrard as possible replacements
- Steve Bruce is set to face the media 48 hours before Newcastle take on Spurs
- Sportsmail understands the 60-year-old will be sacked before Sunday’s clash
- Club revealed on Thursday saying Bruce would attend a media briefing on Friday
- Newcastle’s new owners are eyeing Favre and Gerrard as potential replacements
Steve Bruce will face the media on Friday afternoon where he will be questioned over his Newcastle future ahead of the club’s first game under the new Saudi owners.
Sportsmail understands Bruce will be sacked before Sunday’s Premier League clash with Tottenham, with Lucien Favre and Rangers boss Steven Gerrard among those linked with succeeding him.
However, the club issued an operations notice on Thursday to say that Bruce would attend a media briefing on Friday afternoon.
Steve Bruce will face the media 48 hours before Newcastle take on Tottenham on Sunday
Club issued an operations notice on Thursday saying Bruce would face the media on Friday
Sportsmail reported last week that the 60-year-old would be leaving the club in light of the Saudi-led takeover, and that his pay-off stands at £8million. Talks are still ongoing over the terms of his exit.
Amanda Staveley and her advisors have a shortlist within a longer list of names identified as his replacement, but that appointment could take some time to finalise.
Favre, 63, has been out of work since leaving Dortmund last December and turned down an offer from Crystal Palace in June, but it is thought he is now ready to return to management.
Leicester boss Brendan Rodgers has also been linked with the job, but the Northern Irishman will resist offers from the Magpies — as he is in the frame to replace Pep Guardiola as manager of Manchester City in 18 months’ time, as exclusively revealed by Sportsmail.
The sacking of Bruce is the first major decision new director Amanda Staveley (left) and the new Saudi-led consortium have made, Sportsmail understands
Former Borussia Dortmund coach Lucien Favre is being considered as Bruce’s replacement
Rangers boss Steven Gerrard is also among the potential candidates to replace Bruce
Sources have confirmed that the Leicester boss would feature on a shortlist to succeed Guardiola at the end of next season. He has admirers at the Etihad and was discussed as a replacement for Roberto Mancini in 2013.
However, there is a feeling that making a move for a rival top-flight boss would be politically disruptive at this stage of their ownership, even though some have said he is the best man for the role.
Rodgers won the FA Cup last season but is said to have one or two grumbles over decisions at Leicester, specifically regarding recruitment. Sportsmail also understands his wife is keen to return to the North West.
Assistant head coach Graeme Jones is set to be put in temporary charge for the sell-out clash with Spurs live on television. Sources say the new owners have realised that to leave Bruce in place for Sunday’s game risks spoiling what promises to be a jubilant atmosphere.
Brendan Rodgers (left) will resist interest from Newcastle as he is also in the frame at Man City
Leicester boss would feature on a shortlist to succeed Pep Guardiola at the end of next season
They have also spoken to several in and around the club and know that an immediate change would aid the team, who are winless and second bottom of the Premier League table. The players return to training this morning after three days off and Staveley is preparing to visit the club’s training ground for the first time this week.
Her priority, though, is identifying key appointments in positions such as chief executive and sporting director, as well as manager.
Only then can they press ahead with solid recruitment plans for the January transfer window.
And with squad places at a premium — the 25 slots are already filled — there is the distinct possibility of several players being left out for the rest of the season. That prospect could well incentivise some to up their performances before the new year.
The Magpies have reportedly been in regular contact with Timo Werner’s agent over a January move, according to reports in Germany.
Bruce, 60, has been in charge of the Magpies since the start of the 2019-20 season
Newcastle fans were overjoyed by the club’s £305m takeover which was signed off last week
The Tyneside club are hoping to capitalise on the German’s situation and according to Bild they believe they can lure Werner to the club with the prospect of him becoming their main-man.
Werner – who was an unused substitute during Chelsea’s 1-0 loss to Juventus in the Champions League – is reportedly open to a move if he continues to be overlooked at Stamford Bridge.
The club are also reportedly eyeing up Luis Campos for their new sporting director role.
Sky Sports report that one of the first big moves they want to make is to bring in Campos as sporting director, following his impressive spells in France with both Monaco and Lille.
He turned both of those sides into Ligue 1 title winners, and also has an impressive track record of bringing through young talent and selling it on for a mega profit.
Newcastle have reportedly been in contact with Timo Werner’s agent following the takeover
The club think they can lure Werner in with the prospect of him becoming their main-man
Campos fits the bill given his previous experience, bringing through the likes of Kylian Mbappe, Anthony Martial, Thomas Lemar, Bernardo Silva and Fabinho at Monaco before making over £500m in profit from their sales.
At Lille, he then sold a large number of players again, including Nicolas Pepe and Gabriel to Arsenal for a £90m profit.
It has been reported that Campos would view Newcastle as a similar project to both Monaco and Lille, in that they have past glories but have been waiting a long time to get back to the top.
Campos left Lille last season following their shock Ligue 1 title win, and is currently without a job, so it would cost Newcastle very little to bring him in.
He has previously been very in-demand, with the likes of Tottenham, Arsenal and Manchester United said to be keen to secure his services.
Meanwhile, managing director Lee Charnley could stay on for slightly longer than the anticipated brief handover after meeting with the new owners last Friday. He has an in-depth knowledge of the club and, while seen by supporters as Mike Ashley’s man, is valued as a good operator.
Luis Campos is on Newcastle’s radar as they look to appoint a new sporting director
The takeover of the club was finally approved by the Premier League a week ago, after it received ‘legally binding assurances’ from the new owners that Saudi Arabia would not have control over club matters.
The Saudi Public Investment Fund (PIF) – which controls how the country’s sovereign wealth is invested – has taken an 80 per cent stake in the club.
The PIF board is chaired by Saudi Crown Prince Mohammad Bin Salman and seven of the other eight board members are described either as ministers or a royal advisor on the fund’s official website.
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article