BREAKING NEWS: Marcelo Bielsa tells Everton he DOESN’T WANT the job as their next manager – despite positive talks – with Sean Dyche now in pole position… but ex-Burnley boss wants longer-term deal
- Marcelo Bielsa has rejected Everton as they look to replace Frank Lampard
- The Argentinian flew into London on Thursday to hold talks with the hierarchy
- Sean Dyche is now the leading candidate but is hoping for a longer contract
Marcelo Bielsa is set to down the chance to manage Everton despite holding positive talks with the club, Sportsmail understands.
The former Leeds United boss emerged as the Toffees’ top target to replace Frank Lampard, who was sacked earlier this week following one win from 14 matches, and jetted into London on Thursday for discussions with the club’s hierarchy.
Everton had already feared that Bielsa would reject the role over fears about the squad’s lack of pace amid their battle against relegation – with the team slipping to 19th place in their turbulent season under Lampard.
Marcelo Bielsa has informed Everton he does not want to replace Frank Lampard as manager
Farhad Moshiri is looking to make a quick appointment with the Toffees in relegation trouble
And now the Argentinian is expected to tell the Everton board – led by majority shareholder Farhad Moshiri and chairman Bill Kenwright – that he does not want the role at this time and would prefer to take charge in July.
Taking over in the summer would allow him to have a proper pre-season with the players and start from scratch rather than thrust himself into a difficult situation and risk having a relegation on his CV.
Bielsa’s teams are known for playing in a high-energy style – which is why he was keen for his players to be more pacy – and there have been some concerns that his way of playing left his stars with burnout at Leeds. Sportsmail’s Danny Murphy stressed the Toffees should not appoint him ‘in a million years’.
Bielsa was pictured arriving in London on Thursday in exclusive pictures from Sportsmail
Former Burnley boss Sean Dyche is now in pole position for the job having also been in contention and on the board’s list of candidates.
However, there is still work to be done to secure a deal – with the 51-year-old seeking a longer term contract.
Whoever does take the hotseat would also have to deal with the increasingly toxic atmosphere at the club, with fans venting their anger at Moshiri and the rest of the board in recent weeks.
Following a dismal run of results, supporters turned on the board and planned to hold a sit-in protest after their most recent home match against Southampton.
Sean Dyche is now in pole position to take the Everton job but wants a longer term contract
Prior to the match, Everton released a statement claiming that their board members had been told to stay away from Goodison Park due to ‘fears for their safety’.
This followed reports that the club’s CEO Denise Barrett-Baxendale had been put in a headlock by a supporter after Everton’s defeat against Brighton earlier this month, although Merseyside Police confirmed the alleged incident was not reported to them.
The split between the fans and the board has only widened since that afternoon, and the new man in charge would have a difficult job getting the fans back on side.
There will be no easy transition period either, with Everton hosting league leaders Arsenal on February 4, before travelling to Anfield to play Liverpool nine days later.
It comes after axed boss Lampard broke his silence on his exit from Goodison Park, saying he was ‘disappointed we couldn’t achieve more’ as he revealed his pride to have managed the club.
Frank Lampard was sacked by Everton on Monday after a poor run of 11 losses in 14 games
‘Coming in to Everton last year I knew we were in a tough moment and I will always be proud of the incredible work and support from everyone involved to keep the team in the Premier League last season,’ he said on social media.
‘Thanks to everybody that played their part as the whole club came together. I will never forget the incredible night against Palace that we shared.
‘I want to thank all Evertonians for the welcome that you gave to myself, my staff, and my family. It truly is a special club with a huge heart, and an incredible history.
‘I’m disappointed that we couldn’t achieve more together and wish all the players and everyone at Everton FC the very best for the future.’
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article