Jorge Mendes ‘flies to Turin to hold showdown talks with Juventus over Cristiano Ronaldo’s future’… after Italian media claimed Man City had offered the 36-year-old star a two-year deal worth £230,000-a-week
- Reports in Italy claim Manchester City have offered Cristiano Ronaldo a deal
- Sportsmail, however, understand a move to City for Ronaldo remains unlikely
- Goal claim super-agent Jorge Mendes flew to Turin on Wednesday for talks
- Ronaldo, 36, has less than a year remaining on his deal with the Serie A giants
Jorge Mendes has flown to Turin for showdown talks with Juventus over Cristiano Ronaldo’s future at the club, according to reports.
Reports in Italy on Wednesday claimed Manchester City have offered the Portugal star a two-year contract worth £230,000 per week.
However, Sportsmail understands a move for Ronaldo from the Premier League champions remains unlikely despite being offered to the club for £25million.
Jorge Mendes (R) has flown to Italy to hold talks with Juventus over the future of Cristiano Ronaldo (L), according to reports
Italian media claimed Ronaldo has been offered a two-year deal by Manchester City
The 36-year-old has never been part of Pep Guardiola’s plans, with the club now likely to go with what they have got after missing out on Tottenham and England striker Harry Kane.
Goal however are now reporting that super-agent Mendes is searching for some clarity regarding Ronaldo’s future and will hold talks with Juventus bosses, with the aim of seeking a resolution of some sort between the two parties.
Ronaldo signed for Juventus in a mega-money move from Real Madrid in 2018, but now has less than 12 months remaining on his deal at the Serie A giants which sees him rake in more than £500,000 per week.
The reports in Italy earlier this week also claimed City do not want to pay Juventus a transfer fee for the Portuguese icon, while Guardiola is said to have rebuffed the idea of Gabriel Jesus moving to Italy in a swap deal.
City look set to go with what they have got after missing out on Tottenham star Harry Kane
But while a move to City appears increasingly unlikely, reports across Europe have suggested the former Manchester United star is looking for a new challenge.
Ronaldo started on the bench – according to some, due to his own request – in Juventus’ season opener against Udinese, raising further speculation about his future.
The Portuguese forward did, however, come on and score what would have been the winner, only for it to be chalked off by VAR.
Paris Saint-Germain remain interested in Ronaldo as well, with the French giants struggling to keep Kylian Mbappe, who was the subject of a £137m bid from Real Madrid this week.
Pep Guardiola (left) reportedly rebuffed Juventus’ offer of a swap between Ronaldo and Gabriel Jesus (centre)
Such a move would also mean the tantalising prospect of Ronaldo lining up alongside Lionel Messi.
City have already spent big in this window after securing Aston Villa and England midfielder Jack Grealish for a British record £100m fee.
The champions had also earmarked a striker as a priority this window and wanted to add Kane, but saw an opening bid of £75m plus £25m in add-ons rejected by Spurs chairman Daniel Levy, who maintained Kane was not for sale.
City tried to test Tottenham’s resolve by launching a bid closer to Levy’s £150m valuation for the striker but Kane has now revealed his intention to stay at Spurs.
Taking to Twitter on Wednesday afternoon, the 28-year-old said: ‘It was incredible to see the reception from the Spurs fans on Sunday and to read some of the messages of support I’ve had in the last few weeks.
‘I will be staying at Tottenham this summer and will be 100% focused on helping the team achieve success. #COYS.’
It now leaves City with their current options of Gabriel Jesus, Ferran Torres and prodigious youngster Liam Delap as recognised strikers, while Phil Foden, Kevin De Bruyne and Raheem Sterling can all operate through the middle.
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article