Michael Owen’s foul-mouthed shout to England team-mates at HT of 5-1 vs Germany

"In the eight years I was Michael's roommate and colleague, I never saw him so animated."

Those are the words of Jamie Carragher, describing not Michael Owen's reaction to watching Rocky – one of only a small number of films the striker has ever seen – but his foul-mouthed rant at half-time of Germany vs England in 2001.

Owen is known as a mild-mannered sort of chap, rarely showing a glimmer of emotion during either his playing or broadcasting days, so it's a bit of a surprise to think of him effing and blinding around the dressing room.

But according to Carragher, that's exactly what happened at half-time in Munich.

With the Three Lions leading 2-1 and needing to win to hold on to keep their automatic qualification hopes alive for the 2002 World Cup, Owen unleashed fury on his team-mates.

Writing in his recent book, The Greatest Games, Carragher says: "Michael Owen rushed into the dressing room like a man possessed, stared wide-eyed into the faces of his teammates and offered a damning verdict on the opposition.

"This lot are f****** s***!" he yelled.

"It was half-time in Munich, and I was one of the substitutes for England’s World Cup qualifier against Germany as Michael channelled his inner Tony Adams."

"In the eight years I was Michael’s roommate and colleague, I never saw him so animated."

Owen's rant might have been out of character – but it worked.

The Three Lions were different team in the second-half and immediately extended their lead when Owen latched onto an Emile Heskey knock-down to make it 3-1.

Don't miss a thing with our football updates!

Want to be on the ball with all of the latest football news?

Well then sign up for the brilliant Daily Star football email newsletter!

From the latest transfer news to the agenda-setting stories, get it all in your email inbox – don't miss a thing.

How do you sign up?

It only takes a matter of seconds.

Simply type your email address into the box at the top of this article and hit 'subscribe'.

And that's it, job done. You'll receive an email with all of the top news stories every single morning.

You can find out more information on our email newsletter on this link here.

Little over 15 minutes later it was four as Owen completed his hat-trick.

Steven Gerrard won possession and played in his Liverpool team-mate who sprinted into the box and fired the ball beyond Oliver Khan.

Heskey then made it 5-1 with 16 minutes remaining to seal England's first competitive win over Germany since the 1966 World Cup final and a night that still lives long in the memory of Three Lions fans.

Source: Read Full Article