Newcastle v Spurs match in pictures
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Newcastle are searching for a new manager after their new owners finally parted ways with Steve Bruce on Wednesday morning. Bruce was expected to be dismissed in the aftermath of the eye-watering £305million takeover of the club earlier this month but remained in his job for the new consortium’s first game.
However, a 3-2 defeat by Tottenham was the final nail in Bruce’s coffin. Supporters, who view the 60-year-old as a symbol of the deeply unpopular Mike Ashley era, chanted for him to be sacked.
Bruce has now gone, although Newcastle insist that his departure was by mutual consent.
“I am grateful to everyone connected with Newcastle United for the opportunity to manage this unique football club,” Bruce said.
“I would like to thank my coaching team, the players and the support staff in particular for all their hard work.
JUST IN: Steve Bruce releases classy statement as he leaves Newcastle job
“There have been highs and lows, but they have given everything even in difficult moments and should be proud of their efforts.
“This is a club with incredible support, and I hope the new owners can take it forward to where we all want it to be. I wish everyone the very best of luck for the rest of this season and beyond.”
A club statement added: “Newcastle United would like to place on record its gratitude to Steve for his contribution and wishes him well for the future.”
According to 90min, Newcastle have a shortlist of three candidates to replace Bruce. Express Sport analyses the options.
Chelsea transfer target Jules Kounde ‘decides preferred next club’
Chelsea keeping Rudiger may pose issue as Real Madrid ‘plot swap deal’
Pep Guardiola wanted ‘a little bit better’ from Cole Palmer
Widely believed to be the favourite for the job, Fonseca was close to being appointed at Spurs in the summer but has claimed that Fabio Paratici’s appointment as managing director of football ruined the deal.
The Portuguese prefers an attacking style of football and insists he had already identified targets with chairman Daniel Levy. However, Paratici allegedly changed Spurs’ preference to move to a more defensive system.
Fonseca’s quotes to the Telegraph in September might suggest he would bring the attacking football that Newcastle fans have craved for at St James’ Park.
“The agreement was done. We were planning the pre-season and Tottenham wanted an offensive coach. It wasn’t announced but we planned pre-season players. But things changed when the new managing director arrived and we didn’t agree with some ideas and he preferred another coach,” the 48-year-old said.
“I have some principles. I wanted to be coach of the great teams but I want the right project and a club where the people believe in my ideas, my way to play, and this didn’t happen with the managing director.”
Former Borussia Dortmund head coach Favre is another who came desperately close to landing a Premier League job in the summer.
The experienced Swiss was in advanced talks with Crystal Palace over replacing Roy Hodgson. However, the 63-year-old pulled out at the last minute.
Favre has a reputation for developing young talent, something Newcastle shareholder Amanda Staveley has hinted she wants. The businesswoman has said that local players will be trusted in the first team.
Staveley might choose Favre because of his preference for a project. The ex-Zurich coach has previously stayed on for several years in numerous jobs.
What Favre does not have, though, is a proven record of winning trophies at the highest level. His Dortmund side failed to win the Bundesliga during his two and-a-half years in charge.
The highly-rated Howe has surprisingly been without a job since leaving Bournemouth in the summer of 2020. The 43-year-old had incredibly kept the Cherries in the Premier League for five seasons before their relegation.
However, despite jobs at Spurs, Palace and Everton becoming available over the summer, Howe’s name was scarcely mentioned for any of the trio.
That is a surprise given the superb job he did at Bournemouth. They were in League Two and on minus 17 points when he took charge in 2008.
Seven years later, via a short stint at Burnley, Howe had guided the club into the top-flight on a minimal budget.
Newcastle might look favourably upon the former defender for his ability to rebuild a club’s fortunes, as they currently find themselves sat in 19th position in the Premier League.
Source: Read Full Article