Don’t wait around for updates – sign up for our daily football email newsletter today!
A top Premier League footballer has been arrested under investigation for alleged child sex offences.
It is claimed the player was arrested by police on Friday after they raided his home earlier this month.
The 31-year-old footballer, who has not been named with the investigation still ongoing, is currently plying his trade in England’s top flight.
A spokesman for the club he plays for has told the Mirror: “We can confirm we have suspended a first-team player pending a police investigation.
“The club will continue to support the authorities with their inquiries and will not be making any further statement.”
The footballer has then suspended indefinitely by his club pending further investigation.
He was interviewed by police on Friday following the arrest, and Greater Manchester Police’s Major Incident Team is leading the probe.
In a statement, Greater Manchester Police said: "Officers arrested a 31-year-old man on Friday 16 July 2021 on suspicion of child sex offences.
"He is on police bail pending further enquiries."
The allegations come as a huge blow to the club he represents ahead of the new season.
Preparations for the 2020/21 campaign will no doubt be disrupted within the player's camp following the allegations against him.
The news will send shockwaves throughout the football community, and certainly among Premier League players, staff and fans.
Get your hands on your club's special edition 2021/22 annual. Find out more here.
- Premier League
- MET Police
Source: Read Full Article